Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering September 11

When the United States of America was attacked, I was a senior in high school. The announcement was made over the PA system during what was the end of our 2nd period class... my class was unruly and of course we did not hear the announcement. It wasn't until my 3rd period class - choir - that I watched and understood what had happened.

After the bell rang and we passed to the next class the hallways were full of people and their reactions. Disbelief was written all over the walls as I met with my girlfriends. And I remember hearing people shouting their plans to enlist as soon as the day was over.

As we drove home to our families, I remember sitting at a stop light as local radio station B-96 played a remixed version of Enrique Iglesias' "Hero".



Friday as we prepared for this terrible anniversary, B-96 debuted a new tribute. The song choices are interesting... the differences and similarities between the two. When I think about all I've done and become over the past 10 years, I cannot help but think of my decision to go into music therapy at the forefront. it makes me want to reread Caring for the Caregiver: The Use of Music and Music Therapy in Grief and Trauma. It's a book of reflections on the New York City Music Therapy Relief Project which was an effort to care for those effected by the September 11th attacks.  




What do you remember from that day? What are your personal or professional reflections. How has September 11th impacted you? Who you are? What you do? What are  you doing today in remembrance?

Professional music therapists... what are your MT plans for remembering September 11th, if any?

No comments:

Post a Comment