Friday, September 9, 2011

Midterms

We interupt this blog for a brief musical interlude. Shaking your hair, air guitar, and all out rock star behavior is allowed and encouraged.


Thank you. You may resume reading this post.

Half way there! Holy COW! Where did the summer go? There are days when I feel like I did back in June... brand new and uncertain. But there are just as many days where I feel like I've been doing this forever. Not "forever" in a bored/burnt out sort of way but rather a confident, self assured professional sort of way. It's hard to believe the growth and change I have undergone in the fleeting three months I've had so far as an intern. It's hard to imagine that in just three more I will be preparing for the board certification exams and looking for jobs. It's sad to think that I might not find a job in hospice, which in all sincerety I have come to love. It's exciting to think of all the other possibilities and populations I could start working with. It's especially exciting to start earning a paycheck again... my husband loves that idea.

It has been three months since I started my internship.As I hit the midterm point of my internship, I am amazed at the growth and change I have undergone. My guitar skills have grown by leaps and bounds. My comfort level with patients has shocked me. My documentation skills have come a long way and I see that crossing over into my every day conversations. When people ask me about music therapy I am able to explain the profession more and more clearly, more concisely, and feel more confident doing so.
Don't get me wrong though, there are times when this internship can be challenging. Of course! It can be emotional, it can be frustrating trying to learn music and refine my music skills, and finding the balance or pacing in a session. I am learning to be more comfortable with other professionals, collaborate with them when working with clients, and communicate my opinions, ideas, and observations. I am working really hard to see set backs and challenges as a great indicator that I am at the half way point and after an initial improvement it is time for even more growth. I am being pushed even further and I know that it is for my good. The challenges are making me a better therapist, and I really appreciate that.

You may now press play for the 5th time again and resume the party.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you're at midterms and I have another MONTH before I even start!!

    Congrats Annie it sounds like you've had great successes so far!

    ReplyDelete